9 April 2020
Sustainable lockdown shopping tips
Here are some ideas to help keep your food purchases as sustainable as possible during lockdown.
- Purchase fruit and veg in your own bags or loose but make sure to wash them when you get home and to pop the bags in the wash.
- Turn fresh fruit and vegetables into frozen by cooking in a pot of boiling water until slightly soft, then run under cold water before freezing in old plastic bags. This saves buying frozen veggies in plastic bags and is a good use of fresh produce.
- Buy what you can in cans, which can be washed well on purchase. Then wash again after using and put them in your recycling bin.
- Choose glass, paper or aluminium options over plastic. These can be packed nicely into your recycling bin for when lockdown is over.
- Stack your recycling bin very cleverly so you are able to get all your recyclables in.
The following Dunedin* shops do deliveries:
- Veggie Boys: do veggie deliveries
- Refill nation: Not Dunedin based but has no plastic packaging
- Taste Nature: they do cool produce boxes which can be delivered check them out here: Fresh produce home delivered
- A whole heap of different shops are here which are doing delivery during lockdown: Dunedin Online - open during lockdown
*there will be similar options in other cities