31 July 2019

Working in New Zealand After Studying | Study With New Zealand

Immigration New Zealand

If you study in New Zealand, you may be able to stay on to gain valuable work experience after you graduate.

New Zealand is a high-quality study destination – it was ranked the best English-speaking country in the world at preparing students for the future by The Economist Intelligence Unit.

It’s also a great place to work after studying, to start building your career, and many international students who study in New Zealand are eligible for a post-study work visa once they’ve gained their qualification.

Whether you have plans to study in New Zealand in the future or you’re already studying here, you need to know that the conditions and duration of post-study work visas have recently changed. The changes give more generous post-study work rights to international students who have studied higher level qualifications in New Zealand, (such as bachelor’s degrees or post-graduate courses or higher), than for lower level qualifications.

You can apply for a post-study work visa as soon as you gain your qualification, and you may be able to work in New Zealand for up to three years after you graduate, depending on your study choices.

Here’s what you need to know about post-study work visas.

Current international students

For more information about the transitional arrangements and to see if you’re eligible for this, see the information on Immigration New Zealand’s website.

International students with partners

While you’re a student, you can support your partner’s work visa if you’re studying a Level 9 or 10 qualification. Your partner can then support a student visa for any dependent children, and they won’t have to pay international student fees to attend our primary or secondary schools.

If you’re not studying one of these qualifications, your partner will need to apply for a visa in their own right.

Post-study work visa holders are also able to support their partners for work visas.

Staying in New Zealand after your post-study work visa

When your post-study work visa is coming to an end, you may be able to apply for a different type of work visa, or might even qualify for a residence visa.

If the skills and qualifications you gain while studying here are a good match for our growing economy, you could build an exciting future in New Zealand.

Immigration New Zealand

Information on staying to work after study
Share this story
About the contributors
Immigration New Zealand

New Zealand Immigration provides information about visa requirements and how to apply for study visas.