10 September 2019

New Travel Rules for New Zealand | Study With New Zealand

Education New Zealand

The New Zealand government has introduced a new travel requirement for some visitors and transit passengers, called the NZeTA.

This is important information for you if you are coming to New Zealand to complete a short course, such as an English language course, and you are from a visa-waiver country.

If you have a student visa or another kind of visa such as a visitor visa, you do not need to get a NZeTA.

The NZeTA is required for visa-free travel to New Zealand from 1 October 2019.

How to request an NZeTA

If you need an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority), you need to get it before you travel to New Zealand.

It can take up to 72 hours for approval to come through, so make sure you apply with plenty of time.

There are two official ways to request an NZeTA:

  • Complete the form on Immigration New Zealand’s website.
  • Use the official app on iPhone or Android. Download links are available on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Beware of unauthorised websites or apps.

Go to immigration.govt.nz/nzeta to request an NZeTA or find a link to the app.

What does an NZeTA cost?

An NZeTA request costs NZ$9 on the official app, or NZ$12 if completed online.

At the same time, you will also be charged NZ$35 for an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).

The IVL payment helps to protect New Zealand's natural environment and contributes to tourism infrastructure.

Visit immigration.govt.nz/nzeta for more information.

Share this story
About the contributors
Education New Zealand

Education New Zealand (ENZ) raises awareness of New Zealand as a study destination.